Wednesday, June 2, 2010

We Are All Lighthouses

Looking back now, nearly 15 years after my life-changing experience, I recall how the view from my room on the second floor of the inn, located on the craggy coast of Rockport, was significant. By day, the room afforded a picturesque view of the ocean and Thatcher’s Island with its two lighthouses. At night, I could see the beacons of light flashing to ships at sea returning to port. With the benefit of hindsight, I can now see how the lighthouses symbolized the turning point in my life.

The lighthouse as a symbol provided a clue for understanding the gift of healing I had received that night. I remember how I prayed for insight and clarification. I heard the still small voice within me saying, "Turn on the television." When I did, I saw that there was a children’s show on and it was providing information about lighthouses. There was actor LaVar Burton from the famous television mini-series Roots. LaVar had just finished asking the lighthouse keeper a question.

I was about to change the channel since I was not seeing how this show might be an answer to my prayer. At the very moment that I started to switch to another station, I heard the lighthouse keeper say,

“The lighthouse lamp is composed of the bulb and the lens, and the lens does all the work.”

Instantly, I saw my role as a healer. I was a beacon of light, a lens for the ever-shining light of God’s love. Like the bulb, the light of God’s love continually shines. The lens, on the other hand, directs the healing light. I can remember wondering, "What then is the healer's job as a lens? What are the qualities a lens can have?" It can be clear or unclear because it is covered with dust and dirt. A lens can be thick or thin. With the telescope I had as a child, the lens used to see the moon had to be replaced by a more powerful lens in order to see the rings of Saturn. Wthout the aid of a lens, the Andromeda Galaxy, even though immense, was just a wisp of light to stargazers.

I also recall how I had come to the realization that a lens can vary in how clear and powerful it is in its ability to magnify the light coming from God. Being clear meant being pure in the motive to relieve suffering. It was not to be glorified as a healer. To be clear as a lens was to keep it clear in one’s own mind that God performs the healing. Jesus said it this way, “Verily, Verily I say unto you, of Mine own Self, I can do nothing. It is the Father within Me, he doeth the works” (John 5:19). I saw my role as that of a revolving lens of the lighthouse lamp. I was to direct the almighty healing energy of God’s light of divine love to those lost in the dark night of pain and suffering.

Now, in retrospect, I see one lighthouse on Thatcher's Island representing my healing role as a psychotherapist; I helped people find their way out of emotional pain and suffering. The other lighthouse symbolizes my role as a lens for the light that began that night in1995. Since then, I have been blessed to have helped many, whether near or far, receive healing and relief from physical and emotional suffering.

Based on that night in Rockport, my healing prayer is as follows:
"Beloved Jesus, Yeshua (His transliterated Hebrew name), thank You for appearing to me in my meditation and for sending Your Holy Spirit when I called on you that night in Rockport. And thank You, Beloved Holy Spirit, for bestowing upon the blessing that allows me to proclaim: 'I AM a beacon of Your light, a clear and powerful lens, becoming ever-more clear and ever-more powerful, through which the almighty healing energy of the light of Your divine love may shine to those lost in the dark night of pain and suffering. May ———(the person to receive the healing) receive the healing he or she truly needs, the one You would have him or her receive spiritually, mentally, emotionally, and physically so that he or she may be healed unto Your love and joy. Amen.'"

• Today, reflect on how we are all lighthouses to each other. Be a lens for the light of love by simply listening to a loved one in order to help him or her release his or her stress.

No comments:

Post a Comment